A quick note about connection timeouts
To maximise site performance and reduce hosting costs, the following limits are imposed:
- Inactive connections will be disconnected after 20 minutes of inactivity. Activity includes data sent and received, so for example, a TeeFax session will remain open as the TeeFax service pushes frequent updates.
- All connections are subject to a 24 hour maximum.
- In this context a connection refers to communication with a Viewdata service.
In both instances you're welcome to immediately open another connection.
vd-view is a Viewdata/Videotex web client that can connect to the services listed below.
Read the Acorn Prestel System User Guide to get a feel for how Viewdata clients work.
Some Viewdata frames may contain flashing/blinking text. It's disabled by default but can be enabled using the Enable Flashing option.
Click to save an image of the current frame. These will be listed in your downloads.
On large displays, click for a full screen display. Some useful keyboard shortcuts are listed later on.
Select a service then click Connect. There will then be a short pause while the main index page is loaded.
You can navigate between pages using several methods.
Menu frames display a list of pages or categories and you select one by entering the corresponding menu number, e.g. 1
Most pages also allow you to navigate directly to another page and you do so by entering *nnnn#, where nnn is the page number.
You can either enter text directly by focusing on the display, or you can use the input and command buttons. Shortcuts are also given for some common Viewdata commands.
On mobile browsers you're limited to using the input field and shortcuts
- Sends the contents of the input field, appended with '#'. Just '#' is sent when the field is empty. '#' can often be used instead of ↵ and is often used to continue to the next frame.
- Sends '*#'. Often used to go back to the previous page or frame.
- Sends '*0#'. Go back to the Main Index Page.
- Sends '*00#'. Reload the current frame. In a real Prestel system the user would be charged for each page. This command allowed you to refresh a corrupt frame free of charge.
- Sends '*09#'. Update the current frame. In a real Prestel system this would update a frame (e.g. one that contained real-time stock prices) in contrast to merely refreshing it.
- Send one of the digits, e.g. if selecting a menu option.
- Some frames contain content that is initially hidden (e.g. a quiz). This command reveals it. Use Alt+R when in full screen mode.
- The saves the current frame to local browser storage so that you can view it offline.
- Sends 'H'. When viewing TeeFax this will pause the frame carousel. Use Alt+H when in full screen mode.
- Sends '.'. When viewing TeeFax this will advance the frame carousel. Use Alt+A when in full screen mode.
- Connect or Disconnect
- Either connect to, or hard disconnect from the server. When disconnecting, log off postamble is always sent to the host system.
- Log Off
- Sends either '*90#' or '999' depending on the current service. Some systems would require you to log off before ending the call with a hard disconnect. The user might have been alerted to new electronic mail for example. CCl4 requests that you do this.
Your saved frames are displayed in this section. Click to display a frame. If you load a frame while connected, you can reload the current frame using . Click to remove a frame.
Error messages and a trace of your activity are listed in the 'Log' section.
Click Start Download on the header frame (usually the frame after the description frame) of the program you want to download. Use Alt+D when in full screen mode. The client will retrieve each frame. The complete download will be stored in your downloads.
Clicking Save will allow you to store the file on your computer. You may have to rename the saved file to use it in an emulator (e.g. BeebEm).
Feel free to contact me (Simon Laszcz) with any queries, suggestions, comments or bug reports.
The site is provided in good faith for entertainment and maybe some education. The site is not responsible for the content of the sites and services made available and is not responsible for any views expressed therein.
The site does not seek to infringe any copyrights, trademarks or intellectual property rights. Please contact the site if you feel that your rights have been infringed in any way.